Tegu lizards are large reptiles that can grow up to 5 feet long and weigh over 20 pounds as adults.
It is important to choose an enclosure that is large enough to house a fully grown adult, and which allows for burrowing and hiding.
In most cases, this means going for a 8x4x4 enclosure, although in some cases 6x3x3 enclosures or grow tents may also be used.
This page contains affiliate links. As Amazon associates we may earn a commission for eligible product purchases. This is at no additional costs to you.
8x4x4 Tegu Enclosures for Sale
The Essential 8 Foot PVC & Aluminum Enclosure from Maximum Reptile is a spacious and durable enclosure that is perfect for a variety of medium to larger sized reptiles.
Made with high-quality materials, this enclosure is easy to clean and maintain, and features sliding front doors for easy access.
With its attractive design and superior construction, the Essential 8 Foot PVC & Aluminum Enclosure is the perfect home for your beloved reptile.
The Essential 8 Foot PVC & Aluminum Enclosure is the perfect home for your medium to large sized reptile.
This spacious enclosure is made with high-quality PVC and anodized aluminum, making it durable, easy to clean, and water resistant.
The enclosure features sliding front doors for easy access and a customizable top that allows you to create the perfect environment for your reptile.
Enclosure size requirements for Tegu Lizards
The size of the enclosure will depend on the size of the tegu you own as an adult, which can be affected by its species, morph, and gender, plus other environmental and husbandry factors like whether you allow them to brumate or not.
|Species||Max size for adult male||Recommended Minimum Enclosure Size|
How to Choose the Best Tegu Enclosure
In addition to size, there are a few other factors to consider when choosing an enclosure for your tegu:
- Security: The enclosure should be secure to prevent the tegu from escaping. This means that the enclosure should have a locking lid and that all of the seams should be sealed.
- Ventilation: The enclosure should have adequate ventilation to prevent the buildup of ammonia and other harmful gases.
- Temperature and humidity: The enclosure should be able to maintain the proper temperature and humidity for your tegu. This will vary depending on the species of tegu you have.
Tegu Terrarium Setup
When choosing a tegu enclosure, there are a few features that you should look for:
- Basking spot: Tegus need a basking spot where they can warm up. The basking spot should be around 100-110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Hiding spot: Tegus also need a hiding spot where they can feel safe and secure. The hiding spot should be dark and humid.
- Water dish: Tegus need a large water dish where they can soak and drink. The water dish should be changed daily.
The substrate is the material that goes on the bottom of the enclosure. It is important to choose a substrate that is safe and comfortable for your tegu.
Some good substrate options include:
- Cypress mulch: Cypress mulch is a natural substrate that is safe and comfortable for tegus.
- Aspen shavings: Aspen shavings are another soft and absorbent substrate that is safe for tegus.
- Coconut fiber: Coconut fiber is a good choice for tegus because it is absorbent and holds humidity well.
|SuperMoss Galápagos Cypress Tank Mulch Forest Floor Bedding||Josh’s Frogs Super Cypress Reptile Mulch||Zoo Med Forest Floor Bedding||Fluker’s Premium Tropical Cypress Bedding for Reptile|
PetsWithScales.com is an informational website about big lizard pet care. We collect and provide information from different sources across the web on how to keep and care for reptiles as pets. The species we mainly deal with are tegus, monitor lizards, skinks and geckos. Our aim is to provide high quality information to help pet owners make better, more informed decisions about their animal’s diets, health and life.